Understanding LAANC for Drones
LAANC (pronounced “Lance”) will provide part 101 (hobby) & 107 (RPC) UAS operators a streamlined solution to enable real time automated notification and authorization. That will reduce the time from up to 90 days down to almost instant approval. Implementation began with 50 airports in the fall of 2017, and will expand to completion expected in September 2018.
LAANC will also provide a means for drone hobbyists to notify air traffic control when they plan to fly within five miles of an airport, a requirement expressed by Congress in 2012 FAA re-authorization legislation. The LAANC roll out completed in September of 2018.
This overview will provide the student with an introduction to the LAANC system.
- Harris Corporation
- Project Wing
- Thales Group
- New LAANC providers are being added: Aeronyde, Airbus, AiRXOS, Altitude Angel, Converge, DJI, KittyHawk, UASidekick and Unifly
NOTE: Skyward is dropping support for Internet Explorer 11 browser as of the next product release due to security issues. Supported browsers include Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge.
– South Central USA April 30, 2018
– Western North USA May 24, 2018
– Western South USA June 21, 2018
– Eastern South USA July 19, 2018
– Eastern North USA August 16, 2018
– Central North USA September 13, 2018
Course length: 15 mins
Here is more information from the FAA web site: https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/uas_data_exchange/